WELCOME TO Dar Si Hmad CELAR
Language Center and Research Assistance CELAR .
Since its launch in 2012, CELAR has welcomed and assisted many researchers, students and interns. For research projects focusing on Southwest Morocco, DSH offers an ideal setting for those needing research-support, language learning, translation assistance, or introduction to the field. Several papers, dissertations and theses have greatly benefited from the support of DSH staff, some examples:
A foggy desert: Equitable information flow for a fogwater system in southwest Morocco by Dodson, Leslie Lynn, Ph.D., University of Colorado at Boulder, 2014
PhD, Human Geography
Nature as Diplomat: Scale, Agency, and Purpose in Environmental Peacebuilding by Rebecca Farnum, King’s College, London, 2017
Understanding the Complexities of Water-Sanitation and Hygiene Systems through Local Stakeholder Perspectives, by Nicholar Valcourt, Ph.D. University of Colorado, 2019
II – DSH Offers the following:
Our services for CELAR beneficiaries include:
- Accommodation proposal (either with a host family, in an apartment or in a hotel)
- All transport logistics (provide a transfer from and to the airport + transfer to the research site or as needed)
- Organizing of language classes, support for the translation and / or reading of texts in French, Arabic or Tamazight
- Escort to the site and assistance with translation and / or other required research means (sampling, measurements, data input etc.)
- Helping set up contact with the local community and, within reasonable limits, introduction to the local authorities and support for administrative research-clearance
- Possibility of contacting university professors and / or specialists in your field of research for further orientation and discussion of material
- CELAR beneficiaries have access to the DSH library and its online academic resources. Access to the kitchen, workspace, printers and internet is available
- All new CELAR participants must take a mandatory Orientation Course before starting their research and must have their university research-clearance in hand
- Everyone in DSH staff welcomes and supports our CELAR participants.
Although Dar Si Hmad’s services are fee-based, the material value is minor when compared to the overall ambiance, an experience you will appreciate and that will stay with you for a long time. You join a community, a dynamic and very warm team in a supportive and professional environment.
Our trainees participate in all aspects of practical work of the organization, work that is adapted both to their interests and skills. From researching and grant-writing to planning events, from media awareness to facilitation of programs. Former interns also built their internship around a specific project, such as the creation of educational content for the Water School, the organization of language and writing sessions for RISE participants, volunteering during COP 22 or other academic work like summarizing UNFCCC reports so they be easily accessible to DSH students and other beneficiaires.
Dar Si Hmad also offers the option of twinning-arrangement as part of the internship program, in that you can take language classes and complete an internship. We encourage you to consult the blogs of our former interns, we offer the same services and support as those offered to researchers and students of the CELAR, in particular with regard to assistance in finding accommodation, transport and logistical support.