Established in November 2015 and based in Denver, Colorado, Tifawin Institute is Dar Si Hmad’s 501c3 non-profit partner in the United States. Like Dar Si Hmad, Tifawin is committed to environmental stewardship, durable development, women’s empowerment, integrated natural resource management, climate resilience, and education.
The Institute works collaboratively and collectively to create opportunities for low resource and vulnerable communities to learn and prosper alongside students, educators, and practitioners. Tifawin supports indigenous knowledge to create more resilient communities and implements solutions that are grounded in cutting-edge research. Their approach includes the application of participatory development and women’s leadership to address challenges related to environmental stress, poor education, marginalization, and lack of livelihoods. By focusing on environmental stewardship, education, emerging technologies and women’s leadership, Tifawin supports Dar Si Hmad in contributing to sustainable livelihoods and durable development in Morocco.
Core focus areas include:
- Resilience to Climate Change: The multiple threats of climate change, drought, and poor resource management have a direct impact on communities in (semi-)arid regions. Depleted and compromised water sources contribute to disease and lack of economic opportunities. These conditions call for the integration of indigenous knowledge with new knowledge to meet the needs of vulnerable communities.
- Ecologically-Sound and Environmentally-Sustainable Technology: Tifawin Institute brings technological innovation, scientific knowledge, and ingenuity to those most in need of such resources. Tifawin also provides guidance on adapting technology and tools that help communities in need to grow and prosper.
- Scientific Research for Sustainable Development: Research plays an important role in sustainable development initiatives. By better understanding where, when, and under what circumstances programs and initiatives succeed (or fail), we contribute to more effective, efficient, and equitable development. To achieve this aim, Tifawin Institute is connected with American universities and international research centers to support new research directions.
- Civil Society Partnerships: Tifawin Institute partners with local organizations, including Dar Si Hmad, working collaboratively to highlight the most pressing needs related to education, environment, empowerment, and employment.
- Women’s Leadership and Participation: Women play a central role in establishing resilient communities and there is a pressing need to include women in program leadership and decision-making. Tifawin catalyzes women’s inclusion into sustainable, durable development initiatives by elevating women through training, education, and capacity building.